Technical Artist (Realtime VFX)
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2022
About Ex Populus:
Ex Populus is a pioneering game development studio formed by industry experts from Pixar, Ubisoft, Activision, and Blizzard. Renowned for developing two highly anticipated games, Final Form and LAMOverse, we are the first to deploy games on the Xai blockchain, leading the way for others in the industry. Our team works remotely, enjoying periodic meetups and utilizing Google Meets for regular communication.
Purpose & Scope:
Ex Populus is striving to bring joy to people around the globe with the world’s most compelling games and entertainment at the highest level possible. We are determined to work with the next generation of elite content creators and enable their vision by bringing them into a world class studio with some of the industry's most elite talent.
What You'll Do
- Produce photorealistic real-time visual effects, including explosions, fire, smoke, clouds, and debris using Unity.
- Work to bring scenes together in the engine and provide users with a breathtaking aesthetic experience
- Support artists and engineers in the use of the 3D art pipeline and user-facing engine tools
- Provide hands-on support to artists and engineers in regard to asset performance and validation
- Review creative process and identify opportunities for tool improvements
- Develop 3D art pipeline tools and extensions with an eye towards usability and efficiency
- Solve challenging technical issues in the 3D asset pipeline
- Collaborate with engineers and testers to diagnose and resolve in-game problems
- Inspire and empower the art team to optimize their processes
- Collaborate with partner studios to share technology and best practices
What You’ll Need:
- Shipped 1+ AA/AAA game on Console or PC in the last 3 years
- Experience creating realistic and compelling VFX for Games.
- Portfolio links are mandatory.
- Understanding of in-game VFX performance, tuning and memory budgets.
- Experience working with Unity is required (Unreal is a plus)
- Knowledge of standard VFX software – Houdini, 3ds Max, Maya, etc.
- Understanding of modeling, shading, and animation workflows.
- Knowledge in the following areas in game development: VFX, Lighting, Scripting/Tools Development, Lighting, Shaders, (GLSL/HSLS), VFX Rendering & Post Processing, Procedural
- Strong understanding of Graphic Rendering Pipeline for next-gen technologies
- Experience working with Source Control (Git, Perforce, Mercurial)
- Strong Technical Background on the Art Production Process and Workflows
- Programing Knowledge (C++, C#, Python, Maxscript) with strong Data Structures
- Knowledge of UI Development for Tools (WPF, WinForms, XAML, QT) is a plus
- Strong communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Experience in collaboration between artists, programmers, technical directors
- Creative at finding solutions
- Openness to receiving feedback and refining work while upholding a fresh perspective.
- Capability to work within established artistic styles.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience in collaborating within a distributed or remote team setting.
- A thirst for learning, personal growth, and a penchant for a positive work environment, coupled with a genuine passion for gaming.
- You must be able to work 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, with at least 4 hours per weekday available to work with teams on the US/CAN West Coast (Pacific Time zone)
- Proficiency in English, which is the operational language
The company is founded by industry veterans that have collectively received 3 Oscar nominations, 12 Emmy nominations and 7 Annie noms. The staff comes from companies like Ubisoft, Blizzard, Activision, Love Death & Robots, Pixar, Illumination, Wargaming and others. We look forward to speaking with you!